Tuesday, December 28, 2010

fyra: born this way

"If you could hear me, I would say that our finger prints don't fade from the lives we've touched."


Indicate a person who has had a significant influence on you, and describe that influence.


"Don't you ever let a soul in the world tell you that you can't be exactly who you are." Three years ago, if I were to ask a person if they knew who Lady Gaga is, the typical response would be, “who?” Today, Lady Gaga has the attention of the whole world on her.  With her captivating music, unique sense of style, and sometimes controversial music videos, she has changed the world’s view on what it means to be yourself. Influence comes from a variety of places like friends and family, but every once in a while, a person might come along with an idea or a personality so appealing, that although many people will never get to know them personally, they will change the way one thinks. This is why Lady Gaga is one of my biggest influences.


Prior to entering high school, I knew I was different from most kids. Unlike the other boys, I did not really like football or baseball and did not plan on trying out for any of the sport teams. I was not one of the popular kids or friends with any of them. Instead, I was more interested in music and performing. Instead of being in the normal classes, I took honor and AP classes, focusing more on school than having a social life. At that time, I felt like I was doing something wrong. I felt like I was letting everyone down because I did not like the same things everyone else did. I felt bad because I was not one of the cool kids. It was around junior year that Lady Gaga came to the spotlight. At first, people were cautious of her, not really sure what to make of a singer wearing a disco ball bra or a dress made out of plastic bubbles. As time went on, people started to see that although she was different, she still had a voice that was incomparable. Soon, Lady Gaga started an appeal to everyone that felt like they did not belong: to just be yourself. It was then that I realized I did not have to do or like everything that society had dictated would be the norm to be amazing. I just had to be myself.

Although I do not know her personally, there is no doubt that Lady Gaga has made an impact on my life. Through her music, fashion and personality, I realized it was okay to be a little bit different, to be a little bit weird. With every sequined leotard and multi-colored wig, she taught me that it was perfectly fine to be myself and that someone, somewhere will love me regardless. She influenced not only me, but millions of other people in the world who felt just as I did; the ones who thought they were not good enough because they were a little strange or felt like they were not cool enough because they did not like the same things everyone else did. Thanks to her, I discovered my identity. I realized that in order for others to love me, I had to love myself. Now every time I feel unhappy and discouraged, I can find solace in the fact that I am not on my own because as Lady Gaga said, “when you are lonely, I will be lonely too.”


I wrote my Emory University application essay about Lady Gaga.
Peace, love, and pop.

xxjohnny.


No comments:

Post a Comment